Enter your email address:

Problems at the Ballpark

Sunday, July 20, 2008 10 comments

These issues are a little old, but I am still interested in peoples' opinions.


A lesbian complained that an usher at Safeco Field asked her to stop kissing her date because it was making another fan uncomfortable. "The women refused to modify their behavior, began swearing at the seating hosts and complained that they were being singled out for their sexual orientation," the club said. I find it hard to believe that they were not trying to cause a scene after reading this statement: "Guerrero denied she and her date were groping each other, saying that along with eating garlic fries, they were giving each other brief kisses." That is what everybody does, eats garlic fries and then makes out. Here is the rest of the article.

Would you have complained?
Do you think men set a double standard for lesbians vs gay males?

Christopher Ratte of Ann Arbor had taken his son to a Detroit Tigers game. He didn't notice the $7 lemonade he bought contained alcohol. A security guard noticed the boy drinking the spiked lemonade and called authorities. Leo was checked at a hospital. No trace of alcohol was found in his blood. No charges were filed against the father, who says it was a case of "massive overreaction." Their son Leo spent two days in state custody. The father spent nearly a week outside his home before he was allowed to return. Here is the full article.

Do you believe the father didn't know that there was alcohol?
Do you agree that the State overreacted?

10 comments: to “ Problems at the Ballpark so far...

  • Mike July 21, 2008 at 7:39 AM
     

    All I know is that you have to either be some kinda dumbass or have lived under a rock your adult life to have no clue that Mike's Hard Lemonade is alcoholic.

  • Layneh July 21, 2008 at 11:49 PM
     

    Mike's Hard Lemonade is barely alcoholic. If the father asked for a lemonade, I would question who sold it to him, or where in the ball park he got it.

    He could play dumb if it was sold by a walking vendor, at least it seems more plausible that way. And why not share it, they charge an arm and a leg. If he bought it without knowing it was alcoholic, he surely wouldn't have tasted the alcohol, and due to the price, share it with his son.

    Personally, I say the guy who busted him is a wanker (and the state). Father + son + ball game, why not share a brewski with the kid?

  • Anonymous July 22, 2008 at 9:15 AM
     

    Miket,

    A lot of academics do live under a rock for their entire adult life. I know lots of brilliant people who are so absorbed in their particular area of study that they wouldn't last 5 minutes in a popular culture trivia contest.

    With respect to how the authorities handled this issue, my opinion is here.

  • Craig July 22, 2008 at 9:47 AM
     

    Randazza,

    thanks for you comment. I did read the rest of it. I feel the same way about the abuse of authority, but I hope you are being sarcastic in your response to punishment.

  • Craig July 22, 2008 at 9:49 AM
     

    By the way, Ratte might be that stupid because he is a professor at the University of Michigan. (For those that don't know I am a huge Michigan State fan and student)

  • Doorman-Priest July 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM
     

    Would I have complained. No. Would I have supported them in the argument? Probably. Unless they were the agressive ones and were trying to stir things up, but if they were just being affectionate, then yes I would support them.

  • j razz July 23, 2008 at 9:55 AM
     

    I just found out about Mike's Hard Lemonade about a year ago. I have never had it, but I had no clue it was alcoholic- there is also a sweet tea (that is how I found out about the alcohol). I have not had that either, but I hardly classify as one who lives under a rock, but I don't keep up with the varieties of alcohol on the market :)

    j razz

  • Craig July 23, 2008 at 2:13 PM
     

    DP is the only one that answered the first question. Would you have complained? Most readers if not all view homosexuality as a sin. So I would like to know if you would have complained.

    In addition, do you think there is a double standard men have in regards to gay men vs lesbians and the level of attractiveness?

  • Timm July 25, 2008 at 10:34 AM
     

    I would not have complained. I think the double standard is that many of us would not have complained about a male and a female kissing at a ball game.

    Do I believe homosexuality is a sin? yes, but it is still a way of life in this country that many have subscribed to. Ultimately, it seems that they have the legal right to kiss in public.

    As my case always is with homosexuality, It is not the problem. The problem is sin. In order to avoid a double standard, we would not only have to complain about the straight couple kissing, but we have to complain about all the other sin that is going on in the ballpark. the man using foul language, the man heckling the pitcher, the man who has had too much to drink, the people who are sitting in seats that they did not pay for, etc.

    I guess, my greater point is this; I find the scene described to be very offensive. But there are many people who find street preching to be very offensive and yet I would not advocate for a street precher to be made to stop by the authorities. No one hasd the right to not be offended.

  • McQ July 29, 2008 at 4:49 PM
     

    To the first question, yes. There is a double standard. Men are not likely to complain at the sight of two women kissing (especially if they are attractive). But they are more likely to say something or feel more uncomfortable if it's two men. Do I want my future children to see two women or two men kissing when I take him to the ball park? Nope. Will I complain? Probably not. They're not breaking the law.

    The lemonade situation is just silly. I seriously doubt the dad was knowingly giving his child a malt liquor beverage. And if he was, he could have chosen something much better and stronger.

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.