Enter your email address:

Should Christians Pray For Obama?

Thursday, February 26, 2009 3 comments

Most Christians are not happy with Obama' policies. The fact that in his first week of taking office he used an executive order to use reverse the Mexico City Policy. Issues like this can make it difficult for someone to pray for someone with that character. However, praying for our leaders is pleasing to God. 1 Timothy 2:1-3 "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior" For those unaware, Paul said this in the rising of Nero's growing hatred for Christians. Just do a google search of "Nero persecution of Christians" and you will see the horrible things he did.

In addition to pleasing God, we must remember God's sovereignty. Proverbs 21:1 "The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." There is evidence of this with Pharaoh (Exodus 10:1-2), Tiglath-Pileser (Isaiah 10:5-7), Cyrus (Isaiah 45:1-6), and Artaxerxes (Ezra 7:21; Nehemiah 2:1-8).

Notice that I did not mention obedience. Such as, God appointed authorities (Romans 13:1-2), it should be a part of our attitude (Titus 3:1-2), or that it is God's will (1 Peter 2:13-17). For it is much easier for us to be law abiding citizens than to pray for someone who enacts law contrary to our beliefs.

3 comments: to “ Should Christians Pray For Obama? so far...

  • Anonymous February 27, 2009 at 3:50 AM
     

    I'm praying for him.

    But I'm enbarrassed to be specific about that prayer.

    I am a sinner...after all.

  • Mike February 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM
     

    I don't have much of any intention to pray for him, other than for his soul. I have no faith that, short of God going Clockwork Orange on him (if you know the story, you know the scene I'm referring to), Obama will ever change his policies. I could be wrong, and the Holy Spirit could change his heart completely tomorrow, but I think Christians are underestimating just how much this man is opposed to so many fundamental things we stand for.

  • Craig February 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM
     

    Mike,

    I think praying for his soul is the minimum. The Bible says it is God's will that all men be saved.

    "I think Christians are underestimating just how much this man is opposed to so many fundamental things we stand for."

    I don't think so, that is why I wrote this post. But, is Obama worse than Nero? No.

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.