Enter your email address:

Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays

Sunday, December 2, 2007 3 comments

Every year we see stores advertising Christmas or holiday. Many Christian organization such as the American Family Association urges stores to not shy away from Christmas. Some people are passionate about emphasizing Christmas so much that they boycott stores that avoid Christmas and use Happy Holidays. Governments have been affected as well by calling state Christmas trees "holiday tree".

What are your thoughts about this matter? Do you specifically shop at stores that use Merry Christmas? Do you respond to store associates with Merry Christmas? Do make sure your Christmas cards say Merry Christmas? Or does it even matter to you?

3 comments: to “ Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays so far...

  • RightMichigan.com December 3, 2007 at 10:18 AM
     

    The Bible is pretty clear that the world will hate Jesus' followers. I'm never surprised when they try to marginalize Him.

    I'm more pleasantly surprised when someone doesn't. So while I'm not less likely to shop somewhere that has a "happy holidays" sign I always NOTICE when someone has a "Merry Christmas" display and am more likely to be drawn in.

    --Nick
    www.RightMichigan.com

  • Roland December 3, 2007 at 12:48 PM
     

    I tend to think like Nick. I also am more drawn to the "Merry Christmas" stores.

    Although the new holiday of "Chrismaramakwanzikah" does seem odd enough to make want to shop there if someone put up a sign for it.
    "Hanaramakwanzmas" would do the same thing.
    It would mean replacing Santa with a darker-skinned, red-suited fellow who would give out dreidels and hand grenades.
    Or at least that would be one option.
    (In case your confused, I was being satirical on the last part) :)

  • Timm December 3, 2007 at 2:43 PM
     

    "(In case your confused, I was being satirical on the last part) :)"

    I was about to get angry. :)

    I must admit, I'm the exact same way. I'll still shop at Kohl's. Makes me wonder if I'm a part of the problem.

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.