Enter your email address:

The Next RNC Chair

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4 comments

Stating that the Republican party needs to be rebuilt is an understatement. However, one of the first moves may be selecting a new RNC Chairman. So far two people have formally announced their candidacy. Former Lt. Governor of Maryland, Former candidate for Senator in Maryland and frequenter of Fox News Channel Michael Steele has announced. The second candidate is the State Chair Saul Anuzis of my home state Michigan. Other people rumored, but are not official are Newt Gingrich and Fred Thompson.

I think Michael Steele is a favorite in this race because of the exposure he gets on Fox News Channel. The fact that Steele is African American is beneficial to the Republican party since that is a group that the Democrats have. I don't know if Steele would be enough to gather some to the Republican party or not. I like Michael Steele, but he wasn't successful in his Senate race, so I don't know what he would do to help rebuild the party.

On the other hand is Saul Anuzis. I like Saul, he has done a great job with using technology such as blogging. He is also a very nice and easy to talk to. However, there are two issues that concern me. First is the fact the Republicans lost control of the House in 2006 and now the Democrats will have the largest majority in the state's history starting in 2009. We also lost a crucial Supreme Court Justice. The second issue which I think is more important because there were other factors in the losses. That issue is how he could not handle national committeeman Chuck Yob. I expect that at the national level there will be more divisive opinion that the chairman will have to be able to control.

As for the other to rumors, I will evaluate them when/if they announce. As for now I simply take it as the Republican base holding on to historic leaders for hope.

4 comments: to “ The Next RNC Chair so far...

  • RightMichigan.com November 17, 2008 at 7:39 AM
     

    Thanks for the informative, even handed perspective.

    These sorts of discussions often turn into so much vamping on this petty difference and that. We've got a tendency to try to destroy eachother instead of the other guys... always appreciate walking the high road.

    --Nick
    www.RightMichigan.com

  • Mike November 17, 2008 at 8:36 AM
     

    Steele doesn't have to be a successful politician to be a successful head of the RNC. From what I can tell, the man has had many years to come to a firm Roman Catholic faith (where he actually listens to Rome's direction, unlike men like Kerry) and his conservatism is mature based on many years of figuring out where he stands. From what I've seen on Youtube, he and Jindal are excellent examples of what the future of the party can be like. Pray that Pawlenty is not taken seriously.

  • Anonymous November 17, 2008 at 6:16 PM
     

    Always keep one thing in mind about Steele: He was running in Maryland.

    Maryland is by no means conservative, but you have to give the man credit for getting as far as he did in such a liberal state.

    Steele has a great background story, and he is a conservative and I really hope that he will be taken seriously. My husband mentioned Jindal, I hope he is taken seriously as well.

  • Craig November 17, 2008 at 7:44 PM
     

    Nick - Thanks, I am by no means an insider but I try to be objective and fair. You could probably provide a better analysis.

    Mike - Your right Steele doesn't have to be a successful politician to be successful as the head of the RNC, but it would sure help his resume. Don't get me wrong I like Steele, but I feel he has been a bit overrated. I do think Jindal will be the leader of the Republican party.

    Rachel - Thanks for the comment. I think Steele will be taken very seriously, as of now I think the job is his. The only one that could cause him problems in my opinion would be Newt or Thompson.

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.