Enter your email address:

Beer Ministry

Monday, March 3, 2008 7 comments

I found this article about a church near me that has a beer ministry. Yes a beer ministry. On their website they say their focus is "For anyone who likes talking about God with a quality brew in their hand." The leader of the group even said this about Jesus "I believe He would sit down with the people in the bar, and He would drink what they were drinking," he said, "and He would be happy to do that."

I just cannot agree with this. My personal opinion on the consumption of alcohol is that it is fine in moderation, with the exception of someone in a pastoral position. However, I think this goes beyond the alcohol argument and into Jesus' character and acceptable ministries.

I wrote about the issue of ministries about a month ago (link), how some churches will do anything to get people into church. God does not need us, we need Him. He does not beg nor adjust to our standards. When we lower ourselves to the world's standards we devalue the gospel and give people a false attraction by enticing them with alcohol or whatever then bringing up God.

1 John 2:15-17 "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

7 comments: to “ Beer Ministry so far...

  • Anonymous March 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM
     

    Just out of curiosity, if Jesus would be against drinking - why is his very first recorded miracle creating a bunch of primo wine for wedding guests to drink?

    Personally, I do not drink. And I have heard all the Scriptural arguments against it. But no one has ever had a reputable and honest answer for why Jesus' 1st miracle is creating primo wine for everyone to drink

  • Layneh March 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM
     

    It is said, do not be a drunkard, not do not drink. I dont think that is the issue Craig is talking about here.

    As far as Christ creating wine for His first miracle... I am SURE that doing so would get everyones attention. Maybe it was His way for a kick off..

    Church ministry through alcohol... I am curious which of the churches in Revelations this church would fall under.

  • Craig March 3, 2008 at 10:49 PM
     

    Exactly Layne. I am not really making an argument whether alcohol consumption is a sin or not, but rather using it as a means of ministry is devaluing the gospel.

    I guess my question is why do we (myself included) feel that we need some sort of extra curricular activities to make non-believers comfortable. Shouldn't they be uncomfortable. I remember being uncomfortable because I did not have Jesus in my life.

  • Anonymous March 4, 2008 at 7:56 AM
     

    Did Jesus minister to people by bringing them to the temple or by going to their parties?

  • Anonymous March 4, 2008 at 12:26 PM
     

    BTW, I just clicked on the link to the ministry you were speaking of. Imagine my surprise to see that it is a church I have been to.

    So, just so those who read this later may know - this is a good church. It is geared towards the college age and appears to have a good reputation and a good outreach.

    Just thought I should say that.

  • Jeremy March 5, 2008 at 1:31 PM
     

    Matthew 11

    18For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' 19The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and "sinners." ' But wisdom is proved right by her actions."

  • Kinggame March 21, 2008 at 6:37 PM
     

    Respectfully disagree, Craig. If you don't like a beer with your gospel, don't attend that church/service. Whatever brings people to even consider the message is a positive in my book. Freedom of religion, God bless it. And "judge not, lest ye be judged."

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.