Enter your email address:

To Those

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2 comments


Romans 8: 28

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”

I am sure most people are familiar with this verse. I refer to it often and use it often, usually in times of trial, struggle or confusion. As I was reading a book on Romans it pointed out something that I never noticed. “To those” is used twice in this verse and they are different expressions.

One is from God to man and the other is from man to God. This is a two way street. It is also something that I have trouble explaining, which is the balance of election and freewill. The amazing part is that it is in the same verse.

Examples

(1) God’s promise to Abram (Abraham) in Genesis 12:
God’s side was to tell Abram to go and Abram’s side was going.

(2) God tells Moses to go to Egypt in Exodus 3:11-12:
God tells Moses to go to Pharaoh and says He will be there with him and Moses goes.

(3) Saul’s conversion Acts 9:15:
God selects Paul to stand before gentiles and kings and Saul (Paul) excepts.


There are many more examples. This is not a topic to start debating predestination. I believe in sovereign election, but there are responsibilities also with man, for example, repentance and trusting Christ as Lord and Savior. These three examples showed trust in God.

2 comments: to “ To Those so far...

  • Layneh August 15, 2007 at 9:02 AM
     

    Craig, I understand your examples clearly, however I am having a difficult time understanding how it relates to the verse.

    I understand the verse clearly, or so I think I do. I understand what you were talking about with the "to those" and the meaning, I just dont see the correlation between the verse and examples given.

    Maybe if you explain which part is from God to man, the which part is from man to God.

  • Timm August 15, 2007 at 2:40 PM
     

    God calls to man, Man responds to God's call. That is how we are saved.

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.