Enter your email address:

Unity

Monday, April 28, 2008 9 comments


UNITE By O.C. Supertones

Philippians 2:1-4

"Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy, (2) fulfill my joy by being like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. (3) Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. (4) Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."


This song that I posted (hopefully correctly), echoes the same thing Paul was writing to the Philippians. Christians should be "like-minded" in the general sense. Unfortunately, there are many divisive issues in the church. This post is an effort to address ways to unite together.

I have talked to many and read many responses about people unhappy with how blogs are operating. There is a lot of attacking. This is not in reference to one person specifically nor a post or blog. This is a problem I witnessed in the world and within the blogging community I visit.

I actually started my blog because a group of friends started a facebook group talking about religion. Of course we all did not agree on everything, but we referenced scripture to explain our reasoning. I have noticed blogging that there are only a few that quote scripture in their reasoning.

So the question is how do we become like-minded with so much division, while upholding God's truths? Are there limits to what you can agree to disagree on? What actions do you take when there is a disagreement between you and someone else?

9 comments: to “ Unity so far...

  • Layneh April 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM
     

    Good question. Think that many are likeminded, as far as salvtaion, however its the "detials" and "doctrines" people get caught up with. This is something Mr. Bell has brought up in his book. (still reading btw)

    I find it important to note that you and I have some very different beliefs, however we can agree to disagree, and leave it at that. I think that there is an underlying respect for each other because we have both researched our beliefs.

  • Anonymous April 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM
     

    Craig,

    You are so right. I've only been in the blogging world for a couple years now, but I have seen the same experience happen over and over again. In fact, I went thru the same cycle myself when I started.

    I would submit that the issue comes from people wanting others to be convinced to think like them so as to prove that their own thinking is correct. Starting off from this viewpoint is bound to end in what we have all seen, because the goal is not to reach the truth but to know that our "truth" is the truth.

    This attitude is in and of itself a violation of the Philippians passage you have quoted (in my opinion).

    This is why I do not allow blanket statements of "I am right" on my own blog. (Note: I presume that anything I post will be taken as my thoughts at this moment in time.) I am sorry if that policy and my stating it has offended anyone.

  • Craig April 29, 2008 at 11:38 PM
     

    This comment has been removed by the author.

  • Craig April 29, 2008 at 11:41 PM
     

    Layne,
    I agree with you that we do have a certain respect for each other. However, I am hesitant to say that everyone that I've encountered blogging shares the same belief in salvation.

    Geppy,
    It seems we have had the same experiences. The problem I have is that I have thick skin and don't get offended easily, but the problem with that is I will stay in a discussion that is not fruitful. However, I have had some good discussions and while seeking for truth had to admit I was wrong on an issue over at Roland's blog. It was not someone's argument that changed my mind, but jrazz gave scriptural evidence that I could not deny.

    Lastly, I found another verse I would like to add to this topic:

    Ephesians 4:15-16 "but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head -- Christ-- (16) from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love."

  • McQ May 1, 2008 at 7:23 PM
     

    I think something we see a lot on religious blogs,or conversations in general is peoples' reliance on their own knowledge when making an argument. Instead of saying, "scripture says . . ." they say "I think that. . ."

    People often rely on the wisdom of the world to argue their faith, which we all know is not wisdom at all - to interpret scripture. The most volatile antagonists are most frequently the ones who argue without scriptural backing, which shows me one thing. They are not seeking the truth through the word of God. As a result, they are not growing in spirit, rather they are relying on their own intelligence, and falling back on their pride.

  • Anonymous May 2, 2008 at 1:35 AM
     

    mcq,

    That is strange as I think that shows humility instead of pride. When I say humility, I do at least assume that those who say "I think" are able to provide Scripture for why they think though. :)

  • McQ May 2, 2008 at 11:46 AM
     

    I completely agree, Geppy.

    I was inferring more to the people who say "I think" when discussing without sciptural support. Like, "I think that God wants us all to count on ourselves for our success because xyz (non-scriptural reference)".

    But I agree with what you're saying, "I think this means that" instead of "I know this means that" shows humility.

  • Doorman-Priest May 2, 2008 at 3:41 PM
     

    It does seem difficult to communicate on blogsites these days without people taking umbridge. I think it is because some folks are always right and can't wait to tell others that they are wrong.

  • Anonymous May 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM
     

    If you are with a group of decent people, it's best to just let doctrinal issues go to the sidelines if you can. On Wed, we studied Romans 9 in my bible study, and well, being the only one in there who came to Christ in a Presbyterian Church, you can imagine how much we had to agree to just talk "academically" about the points in that chapter :)

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.