Enter your email address:

Minister Salaries

Monday, January 21, 2008 9 comments

I know televangelists have a bad reputation along with lawyers and used car salesman, but do they bring it on themselves? They are making millions off of their followers. Living in mansions, driving luxury cars and dressing in the finest clothing. I am not against anyone being wealthy, but I am skeptical when it is the result of sharing the gospel. It seems that things should be the opposite or that the money could be used elsewhere. I will examine three televangelist, not to attack them personally, but because they are the most popular and people will be familiar with them.

First, Joyce Meyer. I don't agree with women pastors, but I will skip that and move on to her salary. Here is an article that states Meyer's salary at $900,000, but don't worry, it has been reduced to $250,000. This does not include her royalties from her books and the use of a corporate jet. Her husband who happens to be vice president of the ministry made $450,000 in 2003-04.

Secondly, Joel Osteen, who portrays to be gracious by giving up his $200,000 salary. This is because of all the books he sells. He also gave up a portion of the book profits to renovate the former Compaq Center where the Houston Rockets use to play. His luxurious lifestyle isn't to shabby for someone who didn't complete college nor attended seminary. Here is an article about Mr. Osteen.

Lastly, Rick Warren. He is not on television so he does not classify as a televangelist, but I included him in this because of his salary and his resulting actions. You might remember him from his best seller "Purpose Driven Life", the one who let Hillary Clinton and Obama speak in the pulput of his Saddleback Church or his praise of Syria. He seems a little more giving by doing what he calls "reverse tithing". He keeps 10% and tithes 90%. I am sure this does not break his pocketbook.

Now it is time for my disclaimer, for I am sure some will take this as judgmental and /or divisive. I know these people have done good and may even have good intentions. However, getting rich of the gospel of Jesus doesn't seem right and while they my donate large sums of money they are making much more. They write book after book and they all seem to be the same. Psychologically centered and less Biblically structured.

Again this is not an attack on Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, large churches or rich people.

9 comments: to “ Minister Salaries so far...

  • Timm January 22, 2008 at 8:58 AM
     

    To be honest Craig, I couldn't care less how much money these people make. Only they and God know if the money is their god or not. I'm only concerned with what they are preaching. I have problems with all three of these, which I wont get into now.

    One preacher that I respect is John Piper. I don't know how much he makes in a year, but I do know that his ministry doesn't seem to be in it for the money. When you call and order their products, they have a suggested donation. If you can't afford it, you can name your price. If you can't afford to pay at all, they will ship you the product for free.

  • Roland January 22, 2008 at 11:25 AM
     

    CS Lewis, kept what he needed. When his income increased, he just increased his giving by that much. Not a percentage. If he earned $1000 more in a year, he donated all of it. I think he was only donating around 77% by the time he passed on. But given enough time, he might have caught Warren. ;)

  • Roland January 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM
     

    Oh yeah, I wonder how Piper and Bell compare salary wise. Might be an interesting point of view to get. Not to condemn or praise either one, but just to see.

  • Timm January 22, 2008 at 1:49 PM
     

    why don't you look that one up for me Roland. ;)

  • Craig January 22, 2008 at 11:11 PM
     

    Timm,

    I understand what you are saying. I am not one to snoop around and find out how much money everyone makes, as you know from my LSJ posting. However, I think this says a lot about their character.

    And yes I agree with you and Roland that it would be interesting to compare John Piper and Rob Bell. I have read one of Piper's books and I am not familiar with Bell.

  • DB January 24, 2008 at 6:50 PM
     

    2 Corinthians 2:17

    Many interpretations of course, but the basic idea is rejecting the practice of peddling the word of God for profit. McQ and I discussed this not long ago funny enough.

    But I was thinking also, the more money they make, the easier it is for them to spread the word I guess.

  • Anonymous August 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM
     

    get a different perspective. what has this man done for his neighbor see for yourself; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim#criticism.
    the real question is what are you doing with your money, steward?

  • Unknown October 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM
     

    Hi,

    You have nice blog. A lot of people nowadays don't know whether they're obtaining appropriate wage for their profession. To be clear one can check on the internet salary comparison websites to know what other businesses provide for the same position. For instance to compare wage of an analyst one can just type analyst salary in a salary comparison website like Whatsalary.com

  • Anonymous March 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
     

    http://cardiffmiller.com/pubs/buyvalium/#for-anxiety effects of valium high - generic valium 5mg

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.