Enter your email address:

Work Ethic

Monday, January 14, 2008 8 comments

This is my version of Max Weber's book "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism". I know many people say and I think it is even on a bumper sticker that Jesus in not a Republican or Democrat. This may be true, but I feel the democrats have forced me to the Republican Party based on issues when compared to the Bible.

We all know the social issues of abortion and the sanctity of marriage, but I would like to look at the issue of social programs. The Bible is very clear that we should have a strong work ethic and not be lazy. I believe that the Bible says that laziness equals poverty. However, poverty does not always equal laziness.

LAZINESS = POVERTY
Proverbs 10:4 "He who has a slack hand becomes poor, But the hand of the diligent makes rich."

Proverbs 13:4 "The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich."

POVERTY ≠ LAZINESS IN ALL CASES
Proverbs 14:31 "He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker, But he who honors Him has mercy on the needy."

Proverbs 17:5 "He who mocks the poor reproaches his Maker; He who is glad at calamity will not go unpunished."

I would also be inclined to say the Bible supports capitalism:
Proverbs 12:24 "The hand of the diligent will rule, But the lazy man will be put to forced labor."

This is not to disrespect some professions, but rather rewards hard work. It all comes down to the work ethic.
Proverbs 14:23 "In all labor there is profit, But idle chatter leads only to poverty."

Do not be mistaken, I am not promoting prosperity gospel. Hard work may not make you rich but Proverbs 27:23-27 says it will give you the necessities of life. It is not the governments responsibility to be a charity, but individuals and organizations.

8 comments: to “ Work Ethic so far...

  • Roland January 14, 2008 at 11:07 PM
     

    Hearkens back to the old days.
    Churches helped the poor and needy.
    Government made laws and enforced them.
    Funny thing is, I'm below peverty level. Yet all my needs are supplied and then some.
    Nice post, Craig.

  • Triton January 15, 2008 at 12:24 AM
     

    I would also be inclined to say the Bible supports capitalism

    Yeah, I would call that an understatement. You might be interested in Gary North's economic commentaries on the Bible. You can read or download them for free from this site.

  • Layneh January 15, 2008 at 3:32 AM
     

    I, one who likes to play devils advocate, would argue that Christians should care for the poor.

    God allows people to be poor, He allows sickness, He allows all things because in His great plan, it works for the greater good.

    God uses our weaknesses to strengthen others, financially too.

  • Timm January 15, 2008 at 8:35 AM
     

    "This is not to disrespect some professions, but rather rewards hard work. It all comes down to the work ethic."

    It always drives me crazy to listen to someone complain about how they can't get ahead in life when they have resigned themselves to a dead end job. Work ethic is not strictly defined as Physical labor. People should recognize when they are in a job or profession that's going nowhere and get themselves in a better situation. Off topic, I know, but your statement reminded me of a pet peave of mine.

    "I, one who likes to play devils advocate, would argue that Christians should care for the poor."

    I'm not so sure anyone here would argue with that Layne. It's not "devil's advocate" if no one disagrees. :)

  • Triton January 15, 2008 at 4:04 PM
     

    I, one who likes to play devils advocate, would argue that Christians should care for the poor.

    No one is saying otherwise, Layneh.

    HOW we care for the poor is the issue.

  • Anonymous January 16, 2008 at 3:40 PM
     

    Churches helped the poor and needy.

    Yep, and if someone was abusing the church, the community knew. At the church my parents attend, my dad was attending a building architecture meeting thing and someone called and said they were starving and needed money. All the men looked at each other. The elder present asked what they should do. My dad suggested that they take him to get some food. If he was starving, the church needed to help. When the elder proposed taking him to get some food, the man on the phone claimed he had medical problems (I think it was diabetes) and they told him they would take him to get him something proper to eat, just to let them know where. The "starving" person hung up.

    It is so sad.

    No one is saying otherwise, Layneh.

    HOW we care for the poor is the issue.


    I agree with Triton.

  • Craig January 16, 2008 at 11:09 PM
     

    Rachel,

    Thanks for posting. You bring up an interesting point that I may devote a post to, people who take advantage of churches.

    Triton,

    Thanks for the link I will check it out.

  • Triton January 16, 2008 at 11:40 PM
     

    A word of warning, though; Gary North is a Christian Reconstructionist. There's still plenty of great stuff in his books; just keep on your toes.

 
Visit InfoServe for blogger backgrounds.